goRides Guide – How to assemble a kids balance bike
Follow our simple steps and videos – Which balance bike did you purchase?
Click on the tab below
A ByK Balance Bike
A Cruzee Balance Bike
Open the box and remove the contents
Remove the plastic, cardboard, plastic caps and spacer between the front forks. Identify the following parts
Part 1 – Balance bike frame, rear wheel and handlebars
Part 2 – Balance bike front wheel
Part 3 – Balance bike headstem
Part 4 – Balance bike seats. Comes with 2 seats to accommodate your child getting taller
Part 5 – Accessories – Protective pad for headset. Flag. Bolt protectors. Manuals and instruction booklets
Collect Bike Tools required to assemble the ByK Balance Bike (tools are not included)
Front Wheel Installation
Find Part 1 – Bike frame & Part 2 – Front wheel
Tool = An adjustable spanner
- Using your fingers loosen the bolts on both sides of the front wheel
- Place the front forks onto the wheel making sure the dropout is facing forward. The forks are placed on the inside of the bolt and washer
- Make sure the wheel is centred
- Tighten the left and right bolt with your fingers and then use your adjustable spanner
Video coming soon…
Head Stem and Handlebar Installation
Find Part 1 – Bike frame/handlebars & Part 3 – Head stem
Tool = 6mm Allen key
- Insert the head stem (part 3) into the tube on the front of the bike frame and tighten using the 6mm Allen key
- Attach the handlebars to the head stem. Make sure you orientate the handlebars correctly and tighten using the 6mm Allen key. You can tighten to the desired handlebar height now or adjust to fit to your child once the assembly is complete
Note: On the handlebars you will see a minimum insertion line – the handlebars must be inserted more than this line
What is the right handlebar height for your child? Start with the handlebars at the lowest position. The lower handlebar position will give better steering control. A height that is a comfortable reach for your child and that allows slightly bent (soft) elbows – a C shaped rather than locked elbows giving a V shape.
Position of the brake levers on the left handside of the bike.
Find Part 4 – The seat
No tools required
Loosen the seat post clamp. Insert the seat into the seat post tube of the bike frame and tighten the clamp. You can tighten to the desired seat height now or adjust to fit to your child once the assembly is complete.
Note: On the seat you will see a minimum insertion line – the seat post must be inserted more than this line
What is the right seat height for your child? A height that allows the child to sit on the seat with slightly bent (soft knees). They need to walk and run on the balance bike while seated so they need to be able to go through that full motion with their legs while their feet are flat on the ground. Keep the seat low initially while they gain their confidence.
You have two seat height options with the ByK 200L
Accessories Installation – protective pad, flag, bolt protectors & safety reflectors
Find Part 5 – Accessories
Tools = Phillips screwdriver
- Place the pad with the K facing out. The velcro should meet on either side of the handlebar stem
- Place the 4 bolt protectors over the 4 wheel bolts
- Attach the reflector to the front of the balance bike with the Phillips screwdriver
- Check placement of rear reflector & bike bell
- Insert the flag
Note: The Brake Lever can be adjusted to fit the size child’s hand. Tightening the screw will shorten the lever distance from the handlebar. Do not adjust until your child is ready to use the brakes. This is unlikely to be until the age of 3 plus and when they have successfully mastered the other skills of riding a balance bike. Initially they will use their feet as their brakes.
To fit the balance bike to your child see Sizing of a Balance Bike
We know longer sell Cruzee Balance bikes – watch this space for our summer 20/21 lightweight solution…