CHECK your bike & helmet.
- Follow the goRide essential pre-ride bike safety check here and the goRide helmet check here
- Put your helmet on and give your bike a small test ride.
CHECK you’re visible.
- Clothing – we recommend bright clothing.
- Lights – front light and rear reflector is law in NZ for bikes on the road. Bike Light Buying Guide
- Bell – can you be heard as well as seen? Bike Bell Buying Guide
- Flags – a great idea for in traffic and on kids bikes/balance bikes
CHECK your kit.
- Tool Kit – the essentials are a spare tube and/or a patch kit, tire levers, hand pump, and allen key.
- Does your tool kit match the type of ride you are about to do?
CHECK your security.
- Personal ID/Money – You should carry your ID, money and emergency contact details in a ziplock bag. Always tell someone where you are going and when you should be back.
A bike lock – will you be stopping and leaving your bike at any point?
- Registration/Photo – We recommend that you have a photo of your bike and its registration number incase of theft. This gives you peace of mind when dealing with the police or your insurance company
CHECK your water/food.
- Do you have enough for everyone? We recommend 2 x 750ml bottles for any rides over an hour. Try a camel pack for any long rides.
- Food is personal, munch on bananas, protein bars, scroggin, chocolate.
CHECK the weather.
- Wear clothes that match the environment you are riding in.
- Consider sunscreen and sunglasses for hot weather
- Consider sweatshirt, thermal, rain jacket, gloves, beanie for cold day
Completed your checks? Great now you can goRide more places, more often.
goRide is a shared journey, so we would like you to assist in guiding it along the way. Contact goRide. Your thoughts, comments or feedback is welcome. Thank you for being a part of the goRide way.