This trail is located next to state highway and can make a neat family riding with fun activities and playgrounds along the way.
Where is it?
The start and finish is located in central Nelson city.
The ride – is it doable for you?
Biking Distance? The ride is approximately 8km in length one way. There are many accessible places within this ride that you may chose to start or finish. How much time do you have, how far should you go and what are your riders capable of? Answer these questions then work out your start and end point
Biking Surface? The surface is a sealed wide path
Biking Skills required? This is NOT a technical ride. It is located next to a busy road. Frequently with no barrier between road and the bike path. Therefore traffic awareness for crossing roads and being aware of cars pulling in and out of driveways is important. Note: there is up to three busy road crossings two on Trafalgar Street and one on Atawhai Drive. (we chose to walk our bikes across these busy crossings.) A section of the pathway is adjacent to the busy Atawhai Drive
Level of biking fitness? Allow 2 hours to complete this ride with kids. It is a relatively flat path with a couple of small up hills
Can you ride with Kids Attached? This is a ride that you can enjoy with kids attached.
- Kids riding their own bike. The Towhee Tow Rope could be the asset you need to get some younger kids riding on their own bike on this ride
- Kids Attached or Towed – This trail is wide and off road making all kids attached or towed options suitable for this ride. Full range of Kids Bike Seats Attached or Towed
Riding next to road no barrier.
It is best to take a bike locks with you to keep the bikes safe if you enjoy some other activities along the way.
Enjoy the experience and have fun
If you have worked through the points above then you will be more likely to enjoy and have fun on your ride.
There is so much fun to be had when out exploring on a bike
Some things that you could plan to discover on the Atawhai Shared Pathway.
- Maitai River- Places to sit and read . Fitness activities.
- Queens Gardens
- Elma Turner Library.
- Playing fields – Neale Park
- Founders Park– Bike stands outside. Nelsons Heritage Park.
- There is a cafe located at Founders Park.
- Founders Train runs most weekends and school holidays from 12-4pm.
- Miyazu Gardens- Japanese gardens – wonderful pathways of discovery
Obstacle Course Clifton terrace School
Paver hopping Miyazu Gardens.